11 October 2006

Musing

I don't know about you, but I would never pay $750.00 to see Barbra Streisand in concert.

I don't agree with her politics, (I don't even think that she should be involved in politics) but I like her singing. I thoroughly enjoy her movies. I loved Yentl. I would even laugh at a properly executed parody of the President, all things considered. I mean, who wouldn't?

However, I simply could not justify ever paying $750.00 to hearANYONE. Not even Billy Joel. Not even the Super Bowl. I don't know if I could justify paying that much for any single entertainment experience.

I am reminded of a joke I heard in my youth:
A young man met a young woman whose voice was angelic. When she sang, his heart melted with desire. He felt that he could not live without her.
But her face left something to be desired. She looked like she fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
The young man finally decided that he could overlook her physical appearance, and asked her to marry him. She agreed, and they were wed.
On the morning after the ceremony, the young man rolled over in bed and looked at his sleeping bride.

After a moment, he nudged her awake.
"Yes?" she asked sleepily, smiling.
"I need you to do something for me," he said.
"Anything," she replied.
"Wake up and sing!" he yelled.

So, in the unlikely event that I did pay that much, then dangit, she better sing. And if I did pay that much, then she better keep a civil tongue in her head, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home