08 September 2009

I'm back

At least temporarily. I have not written here in nearly a year. I am frankly surprised that my blog is still even active, though i guess it doesn't take much to not shut it down.

Anyway, I had my appendix out about two weeks ago.

Here's how it went down: About 2 AM I woke in my bed with severe pain in my abdominal region. I laid there in pain until I could legitimately call my co-rider in my carpool, (Actually, I texted him) and told him to leave me. I think it is indicative of how much pain I was actually in that during this time, first I mentally hoped that no one else who ate my wife's pizza was as sick as I was (I was assuming food poisoning at this point), and then, when I texted my ride, I used the words "Leave me." I was immediately reminded of the scene in the movie Chicken Little, where Runt tells his friends to leave him in the alien vessel. "Just leave me," he says. "Let me have a little water, some ammo, and some chips if you got 'em."

I was fairly delirious at this point.

When it was closer to the actual time I was supposed to be at work, I called three different people, finally got someone and told them I was not feeling well, and that I would not be coming in to work. I didn't say what the problem was, as I was still assuming food poisoning and didn't want to slander Mrs. Carter. This was about 7 AM. I had been in severe pain for about 5 hours.

The rest of the day was fairly blurry. I didn't take any pain pills, as I was nauseated and feared vomiting if I took anything that would upset my stomach. As it turned out, I did eventually throw up, and nothing came out but a little bile. That was as unpleasant an experience as I have ever had. I remember sleeping some, not a lot. I came to at one point, and I was moaning out loud. It seemed to help the pain if I tensed my stomach and made noises that were supported by my diaphragm. I don't know if anyone heard me, but I am sure it was not pleasant to listen to.

At one point, I got out of bed to go to the bathroom, and couldn't get back into the bed. My 16-year-old son had to help me.

Bear in mind, during this ordeal, appendicitis was the farthest thing from my mind. I didn't have a fever, my pain was never localised to any region of my abdomen, and I was nauseated, but not severely so. I only ever threw up the one time.

Finally, after a prayer, Mrs. Carter pulled up appendicitis online and did a quick research of the symptoms. When they indicated that it could, indeed, be appendicitis, we decided to go to the hospital. This was about 7 PM. I had been in unchanging and severe pain for about 17 hours.

At the hospital, they started an IV (blessed morphine, take me away), took some blood to check my white cell count, and took me in for a CT Scan. Following these procedures, the doc came in and announced, "Congratulations, you have appendicitis."

I was relieved. Not because I was going to have surgery, but because I knew that I actually had something wrong with me, and it was not just in my head (or my abdomen). I was actually a little apprehensive about the surgery. I had never had any major surgery. The only other time I was ever put completely under for any procedure, it was my wisdom teeth, and I was 17 years old. I was not used to being the one in the hospital bed. I was used to being the one next to the bed, where Mrs Carter currently was. I was frankly scared.

But apparently, the surgery went just fine, and also apparently, I am freakin' hilarious coming out of anesthesia. Ha, ha. Cameras, including camera phones, should not be allowed in recovery rooms. Very Funny.

My appendix had burst several hours previous to my going to the hospital, so I credit prayer and Mrs. Carter with saving my life. I don't know what I would have done if she hadn't looked up those symptoms, and I don't know that she would have done that without the prayer.

For two days in the hospital, I had a drain in my belly. It was kind of gross (there's a reason I am not an Army medic, but rather a Supply Clerk--gooky stuff like this is part of it). It consisted of a tube about 9mm in diameter, and a rubber bulb. They would collapse the bulb and seal it, so that it provided suction from inside my abdominal cavity. This was because my appendix actually ruptured. They had me on massive doses of IV antibiotics, and sent me home with more of them to take orally. I was able to then get convalescent leave from work, and spent the next two weeks recovering.

I have my follow-up appointment tomorrow, and it's back to work on Wednesday. (Actually, as I write this, I am noticing that it is past midnight--my appointment is today ) I am still not operating up to full strength, but I should be okay to work.

My sons and daughter were greatly concerned. As was my wife. But I am well enough, and grateful that I am still here to hug them each day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home